Let’s be honest with each other: you’re on this page because you KNOW your business NEEDS proper accountancy advice. And you know how important it is to get this right first time.

But you aren’t quite ready to part with hard cash for professional advice, tailored to your specific business. I know how you feel – that was me, once upon a time.

Well, at least you’re not basing serious decisions about your business and your tax position on what your mate on Facebook said. Right…..? 🙈

Here’s the deal: Scroll down for generic advice from a qualified professional, free of charge. If these guides answer your questions, great. All I’ll ask is you consider a donation to Music For All.

But if you’re thinking ‘Actually, my business is too important to leave to an educated guess’, then you’d be crazy not to go ahead and book a test drive to see how I can really help you to reach your goals.


Every day of every week, someone asks me “Can I claim XYZ against tax?” There’s few things sweeter than claiming something against your company’s tax bill…especially if you were going to be buying it yourself anyway.

Sure, there’s some no-brainers in this guide, but I’m confident you’ll find a few little nuggets of information to help you chip away at your tax bill over the coming years. The most often overlooked items are trivial gifts (£50 John Lewis voucher, anyone?) to getting the company to pay for your brand new iPhone 23.

No guide can be exhaustive – for example we haven’t included the rules on paying for a private jet when there’s a risk to your safety in travelling Economy (I’m not kidding!) – but this should grab all the low-hanging fruit for you and your company.


I’m glad you asked. You’re not alone. And for goodness’ sake don’t think there’s one answer that fits everyone. Recent tax changes mean it’s not the ‘no brainer’ it used to be…

Even within the realms of a limited company there are various options you need to think about. And you don’t get a second chance to form your company, so do it right first time.

What’s the most tax-efficient way to pay myself?

This is the NUMBER ONE question I see asked on Facebook business forums. And quite rightly – you’re only in business to earn money, and paying a ton of tax by accident is no fun. 

So we’ve put our guide to getting cash out of your company and the very top of the page. Grab a brew, and enjoy!

(Please note, tax rates will change from time to time – these figures are correct as at time of publication).

Do I Need To Register for VAT?

If you think you’re approaching the VAT threshold, that’s a GOOD THING – you’re clearly doing something right. But the taxman might be about to take a 20% cut of your sales. Ouch.

This guide will explain what being VAT registered is all about, whether it’ll be good or bad for your business, and even whether you should register voluntarily – even if you’re miles from the £85,000 threshold.

What Happens When I Sell A House?

A big shake-up in the Capital Gains Tax rules mean you (probably) need to report the sale to HMRC – and pay tax – within SIXTY DAYS of sale. In other words, it’s no good waiting until you complete your annual tax return. Unless you enjoy £1,600 of late-filing penalties.

This guide will tell you how and when you need to complete the new “60 Day CGT Return”. Or, we can take all the hassle away from you – just give me a call.


It’s not just a case of “it’s my money, I’m taking it”. It’s not your money until your company goes through the right process to legally pay it out. You need to have a written record of the decision, to keep safe for when HMRC ask to inspect it.

There’s certain things which much be included in the dividend resolution. Click the button above to view the template which we provide to all our limited company clients.

speak to the penguin

We don’t take ourselves too seriously (you’ve probably got that message). But we do take your finances and your business success very seriously. It’s why we do what we do.

If you’re tired of being just a ‘client code’ and are ready for an accountant who is more in tune with your business – and with you as a person – give us a call.

Most of our clients pay between £200 and £300 per month for “the works”, and a really close relationship with their Chartered Accountant. For smaller businesses, your minimum investment is £125 per month. If you are just starting out, we might not be for you yet.

Not running a business but simply need your tax affairs taken care of? The minimum investment here is from £35 per month. All costs are +VAT.

Hop over to our pricing page for more information. Or, if you’re ready, go ahead and book a half-hour test drive.